Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Place I Belong :)

Sorry for that long pause I had for this blog :( well, it's because I was busy preparing for my college life and too, busy attending the very useful orientation :)

ORIENTATION: A MUST! If you don't want to be lost on your first day of college :)

Date: 30 - 31 December 2009 , 2 January 2010
Venue: Sports Hall, INTI UC

Just a brief paragraph for the orientation I'd attended. It was great to be there to see some familiar faces (know them from the INTI Youth Empowerment Camp 2009).

The familiar....
- Facilitators: Sandheep, Steffi, Shirley, Kok Hoe, Arthur, Yeshey, Jodee, Les lee, Kay Pau, Karthik, Wai Quai, Justin, Yat Sin :)
- VIP: Dr Sia, Ms Noh, Ms Lynda :)
- INTI YEC friends: Thomas, Justin, Jacklyn, Chris, Yeoh, Dhannyaa :)

Well, in short, I finally found that sense of belonging I'd lost after SPM....I was afraid I would have lost my interest for not being engaged with any studies :) Now, I'm ASSURED.

What I basically learnt during the orientation was:
- to accept changes
- accept challenges and be ready for continuous failure as what you'll get just to rise from every fall is success :)
- NEVER GIVE UP!
- be sure to social and blend in
- ask if you don't get the message that the person is trying to convey
- ask if you need help
- and help if you knew :)
- most importantly, I learn how to not get lost in that very big campus by simply locate the class according to the time table (ask anyone, anytime, anywhere if you're still lost)

And now the practicals for that theory we had during orientation, I'd to put the advices and words into action :)

Date: 4th January 2010
Venue: INTI UC
Focus: First Day in COLLEGE :)

Since first week was lab-free, there's no need for me to attend the lab sessions. My morning was dawn with a bowl of noodle and a cup of MILO from a chinese stall nearby. At around 8.40 am, I reached the sports hall. Since my class starts at 10.00 am, I sat at the bench just outside CCC till 9.00 am. Hand in some documents and I'm off to go :) I brought myself all the way to the bridge and to the main buiding where all the lectures was held and finally brought myself to the library.

Embaressment 1: Went into the library, stood there near the entrance, held my ID card near the sensor and waited...no response. WHY? I tried again and again and finally, one of the library assistant guided me to the counter and told me my card was not updated. Goodness ! I totally forgotten about that. She updated the card and I smiled.

I scan through that book-filled library and plucked out one from the chemistry rack :) I was brought to Utopia :) When I looked at my watch, it was time to go to my very first class, MORAL EDUCATION. Thankfully, the lectural hall was just few steps away.

Subject: Moral Education

Class environment: Cozy but I'm not used to the pull out tables :(
Lecture: Not bad :)
Overall (per 5): It rates 4.0

Then, I had a 2 hours break before that statistic class. I went for lunch at the cafeteria right below sports hall. I met Sandheep and also Shirley there :) We had lunch together. I went back to my favourite venue so far.....the Library right after that delicious lunch. Once again, I glanced through some books ;) Just so I won't freak out before the class begins. I left 15 minutes before hand so I can walked slowly to the fourth floor to attend the class :)

Subject: Statistics I

Class environment: Great!
Lecture: Learnt much about how statistics can lie and fool the noobs
Overall (per 5): It rates 4.0
Personal View: I enjoyed :)

I went straightly to the next room to attend the Biology class. This is real fun :) Let me explain. We were all expecting to see Ms Choo Lee Shian but...

An indian women looking young came in with her laptop and a book, looking like a student. She put down her belongings on the table and went to turn on the lights and air-con. Then she said nothing and started to unpack her stuffs and started plugging in the wires to the LCD projector. Everyone in the class was shocked and was still in doubt. Most of us was thinking she might be in the wrong class or it might be the schedule for our class suddenly changed which we are not supposed to be in the class...... then 'she' started feeling odd and asked. 'You thought I'm a student?' We shooked our heads thought we at first thought she was. 'You are in my class right?' We paused and looked at her. We clarified the venue, date and time and finally. ' Then, I'm in the right class lar.' My friend quickly said sorry Ms Choo, sorry Ms Choo. The lecturer was stunned and began clarifying the case.

At last, 'she' , Ms Sulochana was our Biology lecturer and that she was assigned for our class, not Ms Choo. You might be asking why some of us had mistaken her as Ms Choo when the fact is, she obviously is an indian. Haven't you guys heard of One Malaysia concept? Mix marriages? That indians might possess chinese names?

That indirectly made us pay more attention to her :) The class was amazing ;)

Subject: Biology

Class environment: great!
Lecture: Funny and Interesting:)
Overall (per 5): 4.5
Personal view: Clarify first before you presume...miscommunication leads to.....you'll know.

Then, an end for a good start :)

Aim for day one achieved, that is:
- meet lots of friends
- try the locker near the library
- enjoy my day
- get to be in a room filled with lots and lots of books :)

Date: 5th January 2010
Venue: INTI UC

Second Day - Favourite-Subjects-filled Day

The class started at 8.00 am. It was a great morning :)

Subject: Physics

Class environment: great!
Lecture: Great!
Overall (per 5): It rates 4.0
Personal View: Learned lots about tables and graphs for the AS examination :)

It was great to learn new things!

We went next door for my favourite subject :)

Subject: Chemistry

Class environment: great!
Lecture: Great!
Overall (per 5): It rates 4.0
Personal View: Touched about atomic structures and also learned some new infomation about chemistry from the lecturer :)

Challenging and facinating...I shall say.

I had a long break till 4.00 pm to attend Pure Mathematics. So I had my lunch at the bakery and know what? I met Kelly, a friend from orientation. Then, we both went to the Inti book store to check out some stuffs. I went there to check the prices for the textbooks. Sadly, didn't manage to get the info but will try again tomorrow :)

We went straight to the library again :) On our way there, I asked her about what clubs that she will join for the semester... some clubs did poped up like the ultimate frisbee club, adventure club, etc. I think for the time being, I'd love to join either the life science club, Performing arts club or the Dance Academy club...it's merely thoughts, haven't really decided yet....I was formally a PRS (pembimbing rakan sebaya) so I kinda thought of joining the PSG (peer support group) too....but I'm definate that I will only choose the max 2-3 clubs only...not more than that, I can't really juggle between clubs and class. So, it's better to be save than sorry :)

Went to class at 4.00 pm.

Subject: Pure Mathematics

Class environment: great!
Lecture: great!
Overall (per 5): It rates 4.0
Personal View: I learned about surds :) Loved it!

Good things always ends fast, don't you think? When you enjoy doing something, time flies, but if you dislike doing something, it's just long and tough...ain't it?

Day two ended. Looking forward for tomorrow :) And of course, will be attending for the orientation @ the sports hall at 4.00 pm :)

The journey of a year and a half had just began with two days , know I can! :)

Conclusion: Enjoy your time in college and not forgetting the good memories we had in high school. (Though I still haven't got the chance to chat with lecturers like I always do in my high school) That day will come, just be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment